Rejection is one of the main sources of angst for most people. They get so caught up in their frustration with the results that they don’t see past the present moment. Instead of knocking on more doors or trying a different course of action, they dwell on feelings of defeat and continue on a downward spiral of rationalizations about why they “can’t do it.”
Let’s examine, first of all, the reasons why people give up. The following list was derived and adapted from another blog post:
Top 10 Reasons Why People Give Up
- “You can’t do it!” If you have been told that over and over, you begin to believe it and internalize it as though it were truth.
- Your life is already good enough. You don’t want to leave your comfort zone.
- Lack of self-confidence. You shoot yourself in the foot before anyone else does.
- Lack of focus. You get too easily distracted by social media, phone calls, etc. that you lose focus and forget to go after your goals.
- You don’t see immediate results. We live in an age of immediate gratification but real results require real persistent, consistent and diligent effort. Long-lasting results are not produced overnight.
- Lack of motivation, enthusiasm and inspiration. When things slow down and are not going as smoothly as you thought, it’s tempting to lose motivation. Remember your initial zeal and passion when you started your project. Don’t let your fire die out but keep it going until you bring it to completion and fruition.
- It’s not your dream. Have you been trying to make someone else’s dream happen rather than following your own passion?
- You miss your comfort zone. Remember what initially prompted you to step out of your comfort zone. Don’t live a life of stagnation and mediocrity.
- People think it’s a stupid idea! Don’t let other people’s opinions sway you.
- You think it should be easy. Nothing worthwhile ever comes easy, but the sacrifices you make will be worth it in the end.
What do we gain from giving up? Do we just chalk it up to “It was not God’s will,” or do we keep on going?
“But as for you, be strong and do not give up, for your work will be rewarded.” 2 Chronicles 15:7
Feeling depressed and alone? Afraid to move forward?
“Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go.” Joshua 1:9
“Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up.” Galatians 6:9 – Emphasis on “at the proper time.” God only knows when that time will be, but the harvest will be plentiful if you don’t give up.
Imagine the harvest that nine celebs would have missed out on if they gave up too soon! Click here to read their full biographies. Here’s a little excerpt:
- JK Rowling, author of Harry Potter, was on government aid and was so poor she could barely feed her baby before she got her big break
- Stephen King lived in a trailer with his wife and they were so poor they had to borrow clothes for their wedding and they couldn’t afford a phone
- Jim Carrey bombed his first stand-up gig but remained determined to cash in on his dream. He wrote himself a fat check and visualized his success every single day and night until he fulfilled his dream.
- Tyler Perry was physically and sexually abused as a child, and he attempted suicide twice. In 2011, Forbes named him the highest paid man in entertainment. Tyler is a big-time overcomer!!
Even when the odds are stacked up against you, God can still make it happen. Nothing will be impossible for you, as long as you trust in God who makes all things possible.
“With man this is impossible but not with God. All things are possible with God.” Mark 10:27
#persevere #persistence #PersistencePaysOff #trustGod #NothingIsImpossible #believe #musingz4life #faith